Our lovely lavender lemonade recipe has only three ingredients and is simple to make. It has a fantastic colour, wonderful aroma and is thoroughly refreshing on a hot day. Perfect to enjoy whilst dinning alfresco during the summer months. It makes a nice gift when bottled, or as a non alchaholic “bring a bottle” for a party. This is a traditional, still, non bubbly drink suitable for all.
Makes 1.5 litres
Freshly squeezed lemon juice ( 6 tablespoons / 90 ml )
Sugar – granulated or caster ( 6 heaped teaspoons )
Dried culinary lavender buds ( 3 heaped teaspoons / 5 g )
This is a ratio recipe and is easy to adjust up or down for making different amounts.
To make 500ml use 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 heaped teaspoons sugar, 1 heaped teaspoon culinary lavender
To make 1ltr use 4 tablespoons lemon juice, 4 heaped teaspoons sugar, 2 heaped teaspoons culinary lavender
You can also vary the amounts of each individual ingredient to suit your taste.
To make 1.5 litres:
- Lightly crush 3 heaped teaspoons of dried culinary lavender buds with a rolling pin or the back of a spoon to allow maximum flavour to release.
- Put the lightly crushed lavender buds into a heat-proof cup and add boiling water plus 6 heaped teaspoons of sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Leave the lavender water to steep for around 15 minutes until cooled, stirring several times during this time to ensure maximum flavour release.
- Whilst the the hot lavender water is cooling, juice the lemons and strain to remove any large bits and pips.
- When the lavender water has cooled, pour through a tea strainer or sieve, press the remaining lavender buds with the back of a spoon to squeeze out all of the flavour.
- Put the strained lemon juice into a serving jug and add the strained, lavender infused water. As the lavender water mixes with the lemon juice there is a lovely change of colour.
- Top up the jug with chilled water to make a total of 1.5 litres.
- Leave in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Serve as it is or dilute with more chilled water to match individual preference.
- Store in the fridge and consume within 3 days.